Thursday, August 23, 2012

Cilantro Lime Rice with a bonus Guacamole Recipe

This is by far my favorite rice recipe.  By itself it is yummy but what I love to do most with it is make it into rice bowls.  They are amazing!  I add in my own homemade guacamole, some sort of spicy grilled chicken, Mexican cheese, fresh tomatoes and you could add what ever else you enjoy!  Mix it all together and you have an incredible meal.  You are going to want to send me gifts of thanks for this one.   

1 1/2 Cup Basmati or Jasmine (I usually use Jasmine for all my recipes because I buy it in large bags)
1 Tbsp butter
1 small lime
1/2 tsp sugar
Fresh cilantro, chopped
salt to taste

Rinse the rice or soak for a few minutes.  This is suppose to make your rice less sticky, but I am not sure I can tell the difference.  Try it and see what you think.  Melt the butter in a sauce pan and then add the rice and sugar.  Stir around coating the rice and letting it get aromatic.  Yes, aromatic.  Squeeze the lime juice into the rice and stir a bit more.  You can add another lime if you like.  Add in 3 cups of water and the amount of salt you like.  Cover and bring to boil.  Do not stir and do not remove the lid after you add the water.  Reduce to simmer when it starts to boil and cook 15-18 minutes until done.  Add in the cilantro at the end.  I usually use about half a bunch. 

I am going to throw in a bonus recipe because this rice gets even better mixed with fresh guacamole.   I tried out a few different mixtures to get this one right, but it is easily adapted to your own tastes.

2-3 ripe avacados
1/4-1/2 Cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
2-3 cloves of fresh garlic minced
1/2 red onion, chopped small
1-2 Tbsp lime or lemon juice
1tsp cumin, salt and pepper
2-3 romas diced

Mash up the avacados and stir in all ingredients, saving tomatoes for last.  Fold in the tomatoes at the end so they don't get too mushy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment