Monday, August 13, 2012

Happy Homeschooling

Since today was our first official day of school I thought it would be a nice time to reflect on some of the reasons our family loves homeschooling!  

One of the best things about homeschooling is being a part of a community of people who prioritize family and relationships.  I am very lucky to be a part of a group of other Christians who have chosen homeschooling.  Our being home affords us the opportunity to develop friendships with these other families.  Though diverse in specific beliefs, I know that they all love the lord and actively pursue God and that makes all the difference.  When we get together for various events we can pray together, laugh, work through troubles and just share our lives together.  It isn't something many people are lucky enough to be a part of, but we are and I don't take that blessing lightly. 

Being with my children all the time.  Yes, this also falls under the category of the less fun things about homeschooling but it is more often than not a great aspect of homeschooling.  I am there for everything.  I get to see where they need more help, share in their victories, teach them everything I know, help them find their passion and pursue it, snuggle as we read and watch them blossom.  There is no way to describe how this feels, it is far to complex for words but I am so grateful that I do get to experience this. 

I get to relearn everything I have forgotten, which is more of it than I care to admit.  I love reading books that I read as a child and many more that I never did.  I am learning right along with my children all day long and loving it. 

My children have hours a day to explore the world around them.  In today's activity filled schedules this can be hard for parents to squeeze in.  Our being home allows us to have time, every day and often hours a day, to be outside exploring.  I personally believe this is such an important time of development for them and am so thankful they will have all these tree climbing, swimming in the lake, hiking through woods, riding bike, snow fort building, bug catching memories.  In fact as I write this the older two are laying high in a tree laughing together.

These are just some of the many reasons I love the choice we have made to teach our children at home.  I know every family has to do what works best for them and that this choice isn't for everyone, but I am so happy that it works for us!

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha Dana, just move on out and I will gladly let them join us! :)

    ReplyDelete